Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

This was our last long weekend before our new arrival gets here (I'll likely be in the hospital over the 4th of July) so we decided to take a family trip. On Friday we camped for one night in Wasatch Mountain State Park with my parents. Fortunately my mom took care of most of the packing and planning and also was kind enough to let us sleep in their trailer so it wasn't nearly as tough as it could have been but I still don't generally recommend it when you're 8 months pregnant. It was just for one night though and David enjoyed it so much that I'm still glad we went. 
The grass at the campsite had grown pretty unruly so David cheerfully volunteered to mow it.
The next morning we went to the Heber Valley Railroad's Day Out With Thomas and David got to ride on Thomas the Train. He was especially pleased when they played some of his favorite Thomas music during the ride and performed an impromptu dance on the seat.
You may have noticed that David is wearing a different shirt and hat in this photo. He also managed to  fenagle a toy train from Grandma and Grandpa as well. Getting that shirt off of him long enough to wash it was no easy feat.
After that my parents headed home and we got a hotel for one more night. We were hoping to take David to a carnival across the street but it was closed because of rain. Instead we went swimming (indoor pool) and out to dinner. We were literally getting ready to head out the door to go when I read Elizabeth's comment from my last post recommending the Dairy Keen. We had planned on somewhere else but decided to go ahead and give it a try. 
I actually think it was the highlight of the whole trip for David. They had a large model Thomas train that ran all along the ceiling as well as some smaller model trains and a train table for the kids to play at. I tried to get him to sit down and eat some food but he was so desperate to get to the train table that I just let him go. He wouldn't even come to the table for ice cream. The next day was Sunday and they were closed but we still stopped by on our way out of town and let him play on the train tables outside. Of course we had to try the door twice to prove that it really was locked and he couldn't get in to see Thomas on the ceiling again.
If you're wondering what David's doing here he's pulling the imaginary cord to blow the whistle and shrieking "CHOO CHOO!"

3 comments:

Michelle Johnson said...

We used to eat at the Dairy Keen all the time when we'd go camping up there or on the way two or from Deer Creek.

Angela said...

That's what mom said but I don't really remember it. I guess that the trains didn't hold the same fascination for me.

Elizabeth said...

Yay! I'm so glad that you went to the Dairy Keen and that David had so much fun. :) I heard that they were really busy on Saturday.