Sunday, May 15, 2011

Meal Planning Week 19

I can't believe another week's gone by! This week we've decided to tackle a vegetable garden and have been fairly busy getting everything ready to plant. My cousin recommended a book by a local author that outlines how to garden in this climate and it seems to have some good advice though I've always had a pretty brown thumb so only time will tell. If it turns out I'll obviously incorporate our produce into my menu planning and probably learn to can some tomatoes. We'll see. I've planted some tomatoes, zucchini, squash, red pepper, basil, parsley, and cilantro. For the fall I'm also hoping to grow some carrots, lettuce, spinach, and snap peas. Wish us luck!

The only recipe I haven't already reviewed from last week is the turkey burgers. These were scrumptious though I did make a few modifications. For one I halved the recipe and still got 8 good-sized patties made. I really can't imagine if I'd made them as big as the recipe called for. Also I didn't have any Major Grey's chutney so instead I chopped up a few mango chunks and fresh ginger and a dash of apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice (a little goes a long way). These would taste great fixed up luau style with some grilled pineapple.

No comments: