Wow, this week really flew by it seems like. We have less than a month to get ready for our next baby and pretty much no time to do it. The baby's room still needs to get painted and we need to rearrange the furniture (although no crib for the time-being as that's still occupied by David). Since the baby will be sleeping in our room for the first little while we technically would have some time after he's born to get everything done. Experience has taught me though that if you don't have time to do something before a baby's born you REALLY won't have time afterward.
We managed not to spend any money on dinners out (though we were treated on Fri by my parents to some yummy Indian food) but once again I didn't make everything on the menu and we wound up eating leftovers an extra night or two. In past weeks when a recipe's made a lot more than we can eat I've frozen half of it to have in reserve after the baby gets here. Our freezer's pretty much reached capacity though so any leftovers need to just get eaten before they go to waste and I don't mind not having to cook.
Last week I made my own taco meat instead of using the seasoning packs you by in the store which worked pretty well. Instead of using garlic powder I just used a few cloves of garlic and I also added 1/2 t cumin and an extra dash of salt to give it a bit more zip. I'm not sure I saved any money as the recipe claims as the seasoning packs cost about the same amount as the tomato sauce I used but it's probably healthier and didn't really take any more time.
The pasta with lemon, broccoli, walnuts and cannellini beans turned out okay but not great in my opinion. The flavor was good but it seemed a bit dry. Maybe adding a little milk or something to make it creamier would have improved it. Anyway, here's the plan for this week.
We managed not to spend any money on dinners out (though we were treated on Fri by my parents to some yummy Indian food) but once again I didn't make everything on the menu and we wound up eating leftovers an extra night or two. In past weeks when a recipe's made a lot more than we can eat I've frozen half of it to have in reserve after the baby gets here. Our freezer's pretty much reached capacity though so any leftovers need to just get eaten before they go to waste and I don't mind not having to cook.
Last week I made my own taco meat instead of using the seasoning packs you by in the store which worked pretty well. Instead of using garlic powder I just used a few cloves of garlic and I also added 1/2 t cumin and an extra dash of salt to give it a bit more zip. I'm not sure I saved any money as the recipe claims as the seasoning packs cost about the same amount as the tomato sauce I used but it's probably healthier and didn't really take any more time.
The pasta with lemon, broccoli, walnuts and cannellini beans turned out okay but not great in my opinion. The flavor was good but it seemed a bit dry. Maybe adding a little milk or something to make it creamier would have improved it. Anyway, here's the plan for this week.
- Sunday: African chicken peanut soup (still haven't gotten to this one yet) with homemade bread and carrots/celery/cucumber sticks
- Monday: Spaghetti with salad and garlic toast
- Tuesday: Broccoli quiche (yep, another repeat) and fresh fruit
- Wednesday: Salmon burgers and sweet potato fries
- Thursday: Leftovers or eat out
- Friday: Baked beans and cornbread (When we were out camping my mom made some great baked beans with kind of an interesting twist. Maybe next week I'll post the recipe)
- Saturday: Turkey sandwiches and fruit
No comments:
Post a Comment