Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Derek's Birthday Bonanza (sort of)

Derek's birthday was really on June 28th, but I'm just now getting around to posting about it. He turned 30 this year and we celebrated by firing up his new grill for some tasty brats and a family outing to the community pool. I made a banana cake and per Derek's request did NOT decorate it at all. That was pretty much all that either of us had energy for (David's sleeping TERRIBLY lately) although I think part of him still wished we'd had more of a celebration for the big 30th.

I felt a little bit bad about that until I remembered what MY birthday this year had been like. Let's just say that since my birthday falls right in the middle of tax season there really wasn't much opportunity for festivities. Unless you count having a fussing and screaming baby strapped to you at all times and your one and only meal of the day consisting of gas station hot dogs.

Birthdays now are really just reminders that life is now about something much smaller than either of us right now. Unfortunately my camera battery died after taking only a couple pictures so we don't have many photos to commemorate the day. My camera battery will stay charged for months at a time so it's even more ironic that the same thing happened last year at Derek's birthday. I guess I need to be more prepared for special events.

As an unrelated side I did decorate another cake for Fathers Day but since I already did a dad's day post I'm tacking said cake pic on the end of this one. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Christy Lou said...

Wow. That is an impressive cake. You have got some mad skillz in the cake decorating department :) I love the new banner for your site, so cute!