I think we all agree that the role of fatherhood is rapidly evolving. I had a patient once who boasted that despite fathering seven children he had never once changed a diaper. Fast forward a few generations and dads are expected to play active roles in virtually all aspects of parenting from the delivery room on. Some fathers are even opting to stay at home full-time while the mother returns to work. While I don't think that would be a great solution for us, I know some families for which it works well and I'm glad they have that option.Soon Derek will be transitioning to a four-day work week while I step up my hours for my job. This translates into a lot more quality father/son time which I think will be a good thing for all of us. As much as I love being with David I also miss my patients and the social interaction I get at work. On the other hand Derek's been putting in a lot of hours between work and studying for the CPA exam so it really will be nice for him to have that time to bond with David without me hovering over him (I admit to being slightly overprotective at times).
Happy Father's Day Derek! The past few months have been a steep learning curve at times but you're doing a wonderful job and David's lucky to have you. And Dad, if you're reading I think you did a great job as well and I really lucked out myself! Happy Father's Day to all the rest of you dads out there too.
No comments:
Post a Comment