Sunday, June 21, 2009

Where's the Pause Button?

David's pants fit him perfectly today. Last week they were too long. Yesterday he needed help to sit on his own, but not anymore. His feet didn't used to lop over the arms of the chair when I rocked him. He's had his last bath in his baby tub, the one we've used since bringing him home. I hated seeing his full head of newborn hair fall out, but now that I'm used my bald baby I spot fuzzy tufts of real big boy hair sprouting up.

It's so hard to imagine David as anything but my tiny baby that part of me can't envision that he'll ever grow up. But he will. Much, much too soon from now I will find myself staring at a little toddler and realize that his baby days are over. He's half-way there already and I'm crying my eyes out thinking about it.

2 comments:

Auburn said...

I'm with you!!

I get pangs of nostalgia almost every day. Every day!! Just thinking about how, wow, he's not gonna be THIS for much longer. And what he WAS is gone already!

The good news is that it *does* slow down! At least *I* think so.... :) I mean, Seth used to need a new wardrobe every three weeks! Now, even though his height holds steady at 75-80th percentile, he has clothes he's been able to make work for a year! (Which is awesome, by the way!) Also, if other kids are anything like Seth (and I think kids ARE like this...), they just keep getting more and more fun and interesting! So I miss the baby phase like crazy--but I wouldn't trade it, because as FUN as it was, it's even BETTER now. And I can only hope it'll keep getting better.

When do you think that stops? Hehe. Because I'm pretty sure I won't think 11-year-old middle-school Seth is better than 5-year-old Seth. ;) Where does the hill of greatness reach it's highest peak, and then begin its downward slope? Hehe. Middle school, I bet.... Ha ha!

We just realized yesterday that Seth is 1/7 the age I was when I got married, and I said, "does that mean we only get to do THIS six more times before he's someone else's?" Maybe...! What a WEIRD thought!!

Anyway, I'm with you, I'm with you! I'll cry with you any time! (I swear it still keeps getting better, though, nostalgia and all!) :)

Peterson Postings said...

It does slow do to the point that by the time they marry they will want to keep wearing their favorite outfit no matter how worn or how out of style it is. It took me a long time to wean Paul (your father) away from the Leisure Suit that use to be his dad's!

Much Love, Mom