Monday, May 18, 2009

Yummy Curry

I can guarantee this isn't an authentic recipe because I've made many modifications of my own, but it is tasty and easy. The flavor is most like that of Thai curries.

2 T olive oil
1 lb chicken cut into pieces
2 T curry powder
1/4 t cinnamon
1 chopped onion
1 small zucchini chopped
1 small summer squash chopped
1/2 cup chopped carrots (I use frozen sliced)
1 can low-fat coconut milk (14 oz?)
1/2 can chicken broth (14 0z?)
1 1/2 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
fresh torn basil
slivered almonds or cashews

Heat oil in large skillet and cook chicken until lightly browned. Add onion, curry powder, and cinnamon. When onion is clear add chopped vegies and saute for a couple minutes. Stir in all other ingredients except basil and nuts and simmer for 5-7 minutes. If desired you may use a little corn starch to thicken base. Serve over rice and top with basil and nuts.

I can't remember the exact sizes for the cans of broth and coconut milk, but they are a standard soup can size. When cooking the rice I use the leftover chicken broth to substitute some of the water to give it a little more flavor. Also this is not a very spicy curry. For those that desire more heat you can add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to taste with the other spices.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Ooh, looks so good! And not too spicy, which is how I like it. I'll have to give this a try.

Christy Lou said...

That looks tasty! I always use the Golden Curry mix you get in the Asian section. It's good, but now I really want to try your recipe :)