Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Our New Old Dining Set

I've posted before about why I love craigslist. Here's another reason. Our old dining set was a piece of junk with rickety chairs and I'd been meaning to replace it for quite some time. Yesterday I found this set and fell in love with it. It's an older set but excellently built with solid pecan wood and only a few minor scratches and signs of wear- just enough to give it an antiqued look. I love the chair backs especially. Working as a home health nurse for geriatric patients I have seen many dining sets from this era and more often than not the meticulously carved chairs are a little too overdone for my taste. These chairs sport the same attention to detail but a design that is much simpler and elegant. Best of all we got the table, 6 chairs, and 2 additional leaves for the very reasonable price of $375. That's hard to beat even with poorly constructed particle board furniture.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Nice! That's a great set. And great price! (Makes it even better.) When I come to Utah in August, I'll come see it in person. :)

Auburn said...

That's beautiful! I LOVE it. I'm with you that overly embellished furniture is sketchy, but otherwise, old furniture is TO DIE FOR. I'd take an old piece of wood over something brand-new ANY day. Gorgeous. (And the older stuff is so much better built, too, with such interesting finishing touches! I'm converted!) You made a beautiful find!

Michelle Johnson said...

I really like that set! I'm glad you were able to find a good deal!