Monday, December 21, 2009

Happy Birthday David!

I suppose that since David's birthday was a little over a week ago it's high time I got around to posting about the event. Take your pick from the following excuses for the delay: 1) Our laptop broke and we had to send it in to get fixed 2) I've been focused on getting ready for Christmas or 3) If David ever sees me at the computer he tries to run over and pound on all the keys.Anyway we had a pretty relaxed celebration. My family came over and we enjoyed pizzas with cake and ice cream. David wasn't really sure what to do with his cake when we gave it to him. He only ate a little of it and had a lot more fun smearing the icing and flinging crumbs everywhere. The gifts were all a major hit although he's pretty easily overwhelmed if he opens more than 1 at a time. His favorite toys all came from his grandparents. He loves the play kitchen Derek's mom gave him and it's always the first thing he races to when he's in his playroom. Then if we get out the little builder set from Pop Pop he'll spend upward of an hour stacking and unstacking the blocks, picking out all the yellow pieces (his favorite color), and "driving" the truck down the ramp. Last but not least there's the rocking horse from my parents whose batteries are already worn out because David thinks it's hilarious to press the horse's ear to make it sing so he can giggle and dance along.In any case we really have loved getting to know this little guy over the past year and can't believe how lucky we are to have him as part of our family. I also can't believe how much he's learned and grown from that tiny newborn we met last year. He's walking now although he'll still crawl when he wants to move quickly and he's said a few words although they have been mostly mimicing others.
His personality is also starting to come through loud and clear. He can be fiercely independent at times. When he was learning to walk he would throw tantrums if we tried to hold his hands to help him. He really wouldn't hold onto other objects for support much either but preferred to stand in the middle of the room and try to will his legs to work. Oddly enough he actually learned to leap before he could walk because he would literally try to jump to where he was trying to go when his legs wouldn't move fast enough. As mentioned earlier he also has developed a clear preference for the color yellow as well. When presented with a variety of toys David will inevitably pick out the yellow ones to play with first. He'll also try to hoard his yellow toys and frequently walks and crawls around with one clutched in each hand as shown above.P.S. I know the photos I've posted aren't the greatest, but I figure they're better than no birthday pictures at all. If I'm lucky I might get something for Christmas that should help get better indoor shots...

2 comments:

Christy Lou said...

Happy late birthday David! Angela, that is an amazing cake! Did you do that? I am really impressed! Glad to hear that all is well. Take care!

Elizabeth said...

Wow, that cake is awesome! Sounds fun. Happy birthday David! (Can't believe it's been a year already...)