Sunday, March 20, 2011

Meal Planning Week 11

This week I've tried to keep things fairly simple as we're in the throes of potty training. David has done great so far but we're only a couple days in so it's still taking up a fair amount of time. Also my mother-in-law and Jim come into town on Thurs and I'm not really sure what plans we'll be making so I've tried make things pretty flexible. Anyway there's lots of recipes from last week to review so here's the run-down.

The english muffins turned out fairly well though they don't taste like store bought. The consistency inside is more like that of bread. Also I rolled the dough out to exactly 1/2 inch (I measured) before cutting out the muffins but then they wound up being too thick after rising. I set my griddle to medium heat and cooked them for 7 min on each side but they were still doughy in the middle so I finished them in the oven. It took a lot longer than I'd anticipated. If I make them again I will roll the dough out thiner and then just increase the rise time if needed. On the plus side David really loves them and they do make for a convenient snack/meal on the go.

I had tried the whole wheat pancakes recipe subbing milk with lemon juice for the buttermilk which tasted OK, but this time I used buttermilk and WOW! They were so light and fluffy. I never could have guessed that they were made with all whole wheat. The only disadvantage is that the batter is so thick that it doesn't pour so instead you need to plop them on the griddle and spread them out by hand but this contributes to the fluffy texture so don't try to thin them out. We'll definitely be having these again.

As for the lentil curry it was OK but I tend to like curries to be creamier and more flavorful. Mainly I was hoping David would enjoy it but he didn't give it much of a chance. At least it's a very healthy recipe.

The cream of asparagus was delicious. I used olive oil instead of butter and half/half instead of cream. I also halved the amount of thyme after reading the reviews. Cutting off the tips and then fishing them out before blending sounded like a hassle so I didn't bother nor did I strain it so it wound up being fairly easy too.
  • Sun: Tuna melts with apple and cheddar and leftover asparagus soup
  • Mon: French toast
  • Tues: Spaghetti with macaroni noodles, garlic toast and peas
  • Wed: English muffin pizzas
  • Thurs: Chicken fajitas with black beans and rice
  • Fri: Happy B-Day to Me! Derek's taking me out! (Thanks Grandma for babysitting)
  • Sat: Freezer meal?

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Ooh, I want to try those whole wheat pancakes.

Also, those tuna melts with apple look amazing! I think I'm going to try them!

Elizabeth said...

I made the tuna melts tonight. WOW!! They were amazing! Thanks for the recipe, I definitely will make this again! (I even liked just eating the tuna/apple mixture, which I did a bit while I was making them. :) )

Angela said...

I thought they were tasty myself but Derek wasn't convinced. I used a small can of tuna though and a large apple. I think that next time I'd do it the other way around. Mostly I love how quick and easy they are to whip up.