Sunday, March 6, 2011

Meal Planning Week 9

It's a lot harder to stick to my plan when Derek's not around despite the easy meals. Actually I think it's especially because of that. Even though it takes some work I do enjoy cooking and trying out new recipes especially as Derek would normally take care of dishes and clean-up. And I REALLY love when all of us can sit around the table over a delicious home-cooked meal. Without that it's just so much less enticing, but I'll keep at it. In just 6 long weeks we'll get our lives back. Tax season always give me new appreciation for single parents. I think a marriage must be pretty bad for anyone to prefer it on their own, at least when small children are involved.

As for recipes, we didn't try any new ones last week so I don't really have any reviews to add, but I will include the Chicken Poppy recipe that I didn't have a link for because it's so yummy. I got it from my college roommate Auburn but I've made a couple modifications. This time I made 2 pans and froze one which wasn't much more work and I'm excited to cook it again. I didn't add the crackers or butter to the frozen one as I was afraid they'd get soggy so when I cook it I will put it in the oven frozen and then once it's fully defrosted I'll add the crackers and melted butter and cook as usual until done.
Chicken Poppy
  • 2 cooked chicken breasts (or any chicken really) shredded or diced
  • 3 C cooked rice (I use brown rice but any kind works)
  • 2 C chopped veggies (This isn't part of the original recipe but I love veggies and it's healthier too. This time we used fresh broccoli and carrots but just about anything works. Frozen is good too.)
  • 2 cans cream of chicken soup
  • 16 oz sour cream (I like to sub plain yogurt)
  • Poppy seeds
  • 1 tube Ritz crackers, roughly crushed
  • 1/2 cube melted butter
Mix the veggies into the rice and spread over the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan and top the rice with the chicken. Mix the soup and sour cream together and then pour over the chicken. Sprinkle liberally with poppy seeds and then with the crackers. Pour the melted butter over the crackers and bake at 350 degrees until pan is bubbly (about 30 min).
Here's what I'm planning for this week:

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

oooh, I love the idea of guac and chips with white bean chili! I don't really like beans, but the first time I had beans I thought it was something I could tolerate. Guac and chips would make it even better! And butternut squash in the mac and cheese...I wonder if it would fool Paela who is in the no-food-in-my-food stage of life? Let me know how it turns out!

Our week went down with:
Italian revolution wrap (from our wrap book...like chicken carbonara with orzo in a wrap! It was delish!)
Chicken song wrap (ended up too spicy, but Wayne thinks he can fix that in the future)
clam chowder (http://www.waynemadsen.com/drupal/2005/09/oregon-clam-chowder -- the girls devoured this time! we halved it like usual but had zero leftovers)
beef stew
chicken fajitas