Saturday, March 12, 2011

Meal Planning Week 10

10 consecutive weeks of planning menus may be some sort of record for me though I can't be sure as this is the first I've officially kept track. I finally got around to making some of the recipes I posted a couple weeks ago so here's the scoop. Hummus guacamole was very tasty, even to Derek and I who aren't huge guac lovers. David tried and liked it though he eventually preferred eating the chips plain. The only drawback was that the color was pretty unappetizing, probably at least in part because I used roasted red pepper hummus and also I think the red salsa juice may have contributed as well. If I were making this for guests I would use a light colored hummus like roasted garlic and sub the salsa for fresh pico.
Chana masala is still not my favorite Indian dish but the recipe was good and pretty easy to make though I do feel it needed a bit more salt. I didn't have whole cumin seeds so I just left them out. After the brown rice was cooked I stirred in a bunch of frozen peas into the hot rice which made for a nice touch. David absolutely loved it and managed to outeat me (which at this stage of pregnancy is saying something). Throughout all four (!) of his servings he eagerly exclaimed "Chickpeas! David like chickpeas! More chickpeas please!" so needless to say we'll be having it again despite it being a food neither Derek or I would choose on our own.

The butternut squash macaroni was another delicious find. Becca I'm not sure if Paela would be fooled into believing that it's traditional macaroni and cheese (especially with the tomatoes and chives added) as the texture is a bit different but it was yummy and the squash was not visible.
  • Sun: Chicken enchiladas (Elizabeth's recipe of course!) My old roommate has a simple but awesome recipe for creamy chicken enchiladas. I might get around to posting it at some point but in the meantime email me if you're interested.
  • Mon: Blueberry pancakes
  • Tues: Lentil curry (the chana masala was such a success I thought we'd continue along that vein) with brown rice
  • Wed: English muffin pizzas and salad (At least if the muffins I am attempting turn out. My friend who gave me the recipe told me that she used 2/3 whole wheat flour and 1/3 white with a couple T of gluten added)
  • Thurs: Cream of asparagus soup with homemade bread (Happy St Patricks!)
  • Fri: Leftovers or eat out
  • Sat: Pulled pork sandwiches and coleslaw (I posted this coleslaw recipe before but never got around to reviewing it. I really enjoy the sweet tangy taste. It's like a cross between traditional coleslaw and pepper cabbage which is a Pennsylvania Dutch concoction that my in-laws introduced me to. I actually prefer pepper cabbage but Derek likes coleslaw so this is a nice happy medium for us.)

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Enchiladas, yum!! Sometime ago I tried to lighten the recipe up by using fat free plain yogurt instead of sour cream. It sounds weird, but it actually doesn't really change the taste! Also, I can't believe this, but I don't think I've ever posted that recipe on my blog either. Weird.

Angela said...

They were awesome! I did use yogurt instead of sour cream (I almost always do when cooking) but I used more than enough cheese to make up for it. David was the only critic. Our little vegetarian accidentally got a piece of chicken in his mouth and acted as though he'd been poisoned.

Christy Lou said...

I love reading these posts - you never cease to amaze me with the things you cook! You make me wish that I was cooking these days, just so I could try them out.

Rebecca said...

We did pulled pork this week too! Yum. You're making english muffins from scratch?? Cool. I never thought to try that.

Yah, I am thinking Paela would not be fooled by squash. Sigh. I had her help me put the pepper and other seasonings in the mac and cheese (from scratch) recipe that she has loved just this week, actually. And then I watched her pick out some of the seasonings when we sat down to eat, asking "what's this dirt?" And then she ate like two bites, maybe. Hah. She can't handle PEPPER anymore that she PUT IN HERSELF! Not because it's spicy, but because it's DIRTY! Someday she'll eat food again, right?

I don't remember what else we had. Wayne was out of town, and I really hate the flying solo thing. I ended up making cheesy tortillas for the girls one night, and then I got around to eating once they are in bed. Wayne made some barbecue chicken on the grill one night, and we went out another night. Oh, and pi day was this week, so we made pizza.