It seems to be a common fear that I am going to give birth and forget to tell anyone about it based on the number of phone calls I now receive each day asking for baby updates. Still I suppose it's better that they call me because whenever I call anyone now they race to answer the phone with baited breath and then are invariably disappointed to discover that I'm just calling to chat. This is especially true ever since the false alarm we had the other day.
On Wednesday I started to have some pretty painful contractions I didn't know what to make of. My pregnancy books clearly outline how to differentiate between false labor, pre-labor, and true labor but my symptoms were nothing like anything they outlined. The pain never let up between the contractions so I couldn't really time how close together they were or how long they lasted. Then after several painful minutes they would let up entirely for a few minutes to an hour or more. For 4 hrs I tried warm baths, drinking fluids, laying down, moving around and everything else I could think of and they only got more frequent and intense so I finally broke down and went to the hospital.
The nurse who hooked me up to the monitor declared that I was definitely in labor but that she couldn't really tell far into it I was because every time I had a contraction it set off a whole series of contractions. It was already 11:00 so I figured I better call my boss before it got any later and left her a message that I was in labor and not to expect me at work in the morning. We also put my family on the alert. They gave me some morphine to settle things down and it unfortunately worked a little too well. I started having fairly regular contractions about 3-4 minutes apart, but they weren't strong enough to have any effect. After 4 hrs the nurse still maintained I was in labor, but the kind that can last several hours to days before progressing to the next phase. The next morning we had the fun task of calling everyone back to tell them the baby changed his mind.
Friday, December 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Ahh! Too bad. Hopefully next time he decides to come, he'll be ready to commit! :)
Awful! Are you still in the hospital, then...? Good luck! Hopefully he means it soon! :)
Nah, they sent me home after it was clear nothing was progressing. Ever since then the only contractions I've had are the really light ones that I can barely feel and have been going on for weeks, so who knows if this baby really wants to get born. I meet with the Doc on Monday though and if things still haven't progressed she'll have me go back to the hospital and give me medicine to help things along so there is an end in sight!
No, tonight's the night! (Hehe.) Good luck, babe. Can't wait to see your little guy. :)
Awww, what a mean little trick to play. At least he didn't kick your bladder at the same time and make you think your water had broken ;) At least there is an end in sight. It won't be long before you get to hold that sweet little boy! Good luck, and I will keep you in my prayers!
Post a Comment