Yesterday was Derek's birthday we celebrated by having some of his favorite foods- Winger's chicken wings, corn on the cob, and potato salad. Then we hit the miniature golf course and rounded off the night with some carrot cake and ice cream. Layer cakes are something I can never quite get the knack of, but they're so much more festive and our cake stand only holds round cakes so I keep trying. The icing is what gets me. I always spread a generous layer for the middle layer only to have it disappear when the cake is cut. This time I think it was because the icing was slightly too thin. By the time I realized this though the birthday boy had already snatched the beater and was licking off the icing. Rather than wash it by hand I decided to just make do and see if it would work. It didn't, but I did use my grandma's recipe so it tasted really yummy anyway. The only other glitch in the evening was that the settings on my camera had somehow got switched and I couldn't figure out how to make it work until after the party was over. I tried to get a picture with Derek's camera of him blowing out his candles, but it has a much slower lag than I'm used to and I instead got a picture of complete darkness after they had all been blown out. All in all though Derek seemed to enjoy himself and the cake, so I guess it was mostly a success.
Sunday, June 29, 2008
Happy Birthday Derek!
Yesterday was Derek's birthday we celebrated by having some of his favorite foods- Winger's chicken wings, corn on the cob, and potato salad. Then we hit the miniature golf course and rounded off the night with some carrot cake and ice cream. Layer cakes are something I can never quite get the knack of, but they're so much more festive and our cake stand only holds round cakes so I keep trying. The icing is what gets me. I always spread a generous layer for the middle layer only to have it disappear when the cake is cut. This time I think it was because the icing was slightly too thin. By the time I realized this though the birthday boy had already snatched the beater and was licking off the icing. Rather than wash it by hand I decided to just make do and see if it would work. It didn't, but I did use my grandma's recipe so it tasted really yummy anyway. The only other glitch in the evening was that the settings on my camera had somehow got switched and I couldn't figure out how to make it work until after the party was over. I tried to get a picture with Derek's camera of him blowing out his candles, but it has a much slower lag than I'm used to and I instead got a picture of complete darkness after they had all been blown out. All in all though Derek seemed to enjoy himself and the cake, so I guess it was mostly a success.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Happy Birthday Derek! I forgot that your birthday is so close to mine. I hope your half marathon training is going well; when is it?
Oh, and Angela, your cake looks awesome! I don't know what you're talking about, not being able to do it well. You're amazing!
That is an awesome looking layer cake, and the middle frosting is at least thick enough to see in the pic, so not too bad! I have never even dared to try a layer cake, so I am quite impressed!
Happy birthday to Derek!
heh. some people don't even like that much frosting in the middle. My family usually does a layer of jam in the middle and calls the frosting on top and sides enough. So I think the cake looks like it turned out well. I'd definitely eat it. :)
Post a Comment