A sugar fix that is. For some reason I've been craving sweets these past couple of months, especially milkshakes and cheesecake. Part of the reason is because they don't seem to give me heartburn as much as other foods do and milkshakes actually seem to help, but I've been really bad the past few weeks. Our baby could be coming anytime now though and once he does I'm giving up sugar cold turkey. Not only would it be good for me, it will be good for the baby too. I've heard that what Mom eats changes the taste of breastmilk and that eating a lot of sugar while breastfeeding can predispose a baby for a sweet tooth. Even if this isn't true, I should get back into better eating habits before he's old enough to realize what's going on to set a better example.By sugar I mean all candy, desserts, sodas, and and sweets in general. Foods that naturally have sugar like fruits and honey don't count and neither do foods that have sugar, but also have a lot of nutritional value like whole wheat pancakes with syrup. Plus I figure I need to make allowances for the holidays. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years get one exception each. The same applies for when I am company at someone else's home or at a party. I've used this plan before and found that after about 4 weeks my body adjusts and the cravings subside.
I figure that by publicly posting my intentions I'll be more likely to follow through. Once my baby turns a month old I'll post again on how successful it was so there's a little accountability too. Also I wondered if anyone wanted to join me or could at least support me by not bombarding me with sweets this holiday.
1 comment:
I promise not to send you any sweets this holiday season! How is that? Can't go cold turkey with you, mostly because then I wind up bingeing, and that is never good. So mostly I satisfy my cravings by having smaller amounts of the "good" stuff. You should see if Elizabeth has any recommendations on where to get good cheesecake, she is known for her discriminating taste in that arena :)
By the way, now that you are about to 'pop' I say you post one last pic so we can trace the progress of your baby bump ;)
Post a Comment