Tuesday, October 7, 2008

It's a Jungle In Here

With only nine weeks left to go I'm glad to report that the baby's room is for the most part ready. Initially I had planned on staying away from anything remotely babyish and giving the room a more contemporary/stylish look. After all the baby's not going to care for quite some time what his room looks like. Everything I liked though was way out of my price range and it seemed silly to spend a bundle on bedding and decorations that can only be used a couple of years. In the end I found someone selling this bedding set for a really great price and I couldn't turn it down. It's used but it looks new and I think the jungle theme will be fun and at least isn't too babyish. Overall I really like how the room turned out.

Also to get ready for our new arrival we noticed that Babies R Us was offering free carseat inspections so we installed the bases in both of our cars to get our new infant seat inspected (Thanks Mom and Michelle!). All I can say is that I can see why over 90% of carseats are installed incorrectly. We read the instructions and thought we had done everything right, but they still were able to give us quite a few pointers and showed us how to make sure the seat stays safe and secure. A couple surprising things I learned are that placing shelf liner under the base will cause less sliding and that heavy coats or wraps can decrease the effectiveness of the restraints in a crash. The only safe way to keep baby warm is to wrap blankets around him after he's strapped in or to use JJ Cole's Bundle Me wrap (it's the only brand that is proven not to interfere with the seat in crash tests). Anyway, if you have a carseat that hasn't been inspected it might be worth a trip to the fire station or hospital. If you're like me you might learn something.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

So CUTE!! Nicely done. And I'm impressed you are so on top if things!