Last year, as many of you already know I became really interested in photography. Even though my pictures are far from perfect I do enjoy learning and experimenting with photography. Once people find out about my hobby I'll get questions about cameras, specifically digital SLRs. Lots of people figure that a more expensive camera will make getting good photographs easier which is absolutely not true. To tell the truth I still struggle to create an exposure with my Nikon D-80 that is as good in quality as a regular compact camera would do. In fact, the above picture was one I actually took with Derek's compact camera. Since it's something I get asked about somewhat frequently I figured I'd post a quick blurb about the 2 camera types and the pros and cons of each for any who are interested (if not just ignore this post).Compact cameras are the standard kind pretty much everyone owns. Their main advantage is how easy they are to use. Whether digital or film basically all you need to do is frame your shot and press a button. The camera automatically adjusts all the settings for you and usually creates a pretty decent exposure, especially if there's enough light to avoid using flash. Most cameras actually do allow you to do some minor tweaking such as changing the white balance (warmer vs cooler tones), but most people don't want to bother with reading the instructions to find out how. Also as their name implies, compact cameras are much smaller and lightweight. Many can even be carried around in your pocket. Obviously this is much more convenient, especially in situations where carrying a large camera around your neck is either cumbersome or embarrassing.
Compacts have a huge advantage in regards to cost. You can find really good quality compact cameras for around $130-170 and if you pay much more than $250 or so you're probably overpaying for meaningless features such as unneeded megapixels. Just to give you an idea, a decent entry-level SLR with a basic kit lens will cost upward of $500. Additional lenses can range from under $200 to over $1000. If you add tripods, filters, flash equipment, and countless other accessories you can see why many professional photographers actually struggle to break even with the cost of their equipment. Of course you don't need all of those things, especially while you're still learning. My photographic equipment extends to the camera and kit lens which has been great for learning. The kit lens isn't ideal, but that forces you to pay extra attention to your technique. Also I have a much better idea what lenses would be most useful to buy now I'm more familiar with my shooting style.
Despite the high cost and decreased convenience, I really do enjoy using an SLR. For one thing you have precise control over depth of field, focus, shutter speed, white balance, etc which provides more room for creative expression. It's also easier to avoid using flash indoors or in lowlight settings. Flash can often cause unnatural glare or shadows or may startle young children or animals. Also in some settings flash isn't allowed or your subject is too far away, so it definitely is an advantage not to have to rely on it. Unlike a digital point-and-shoot which generally has a few seconds lag time between depressing the shutter and actually taking the picture, an SLR captures the shot almost instantaneously which is an obvious advantage for moving subjects. Also as was mentioned before you can change out the lenses based on what you are shooting. But of course before you can do any of these things you have to take the time to study the fundamentals of photography and read user guides and manuals and then practice a lot.
Whew, sorry that's such a long post and I hope I haven't bored you all. Really that just scratches the surface, but the bottom line is this: If you're really interested in spending more time taking pictures and learning about photography you might want to consider getting an SLR, but if you don't have the time or interest a pricier camera will probably be disappointing and a waste of money.
No comments:
Post a Comment