At just under 1 year, Matthew was unable to appreciate most of the festivities, but he did test out our newly furnished nursery. We're glad to report that our baby's crib can safely accommodate a sleeping baby without major mishap. He also was happy to show off his new walking skills for us and demonstrate that the rest of our home is nowhere near baby proof yet (luckily nothing was damaged though).
Brian, age 4, on the other hand loved everything although I think the carnival rides were his favorite. He also was very fascinated by the idea that Aunt Angela has a baby in her tummy. For the rest of their trip he barraged me with questions about his little baby cousin. One such conversation went somewhat like this:
"Aunt Angela, do you have a baby in your tummy?"
"Yes, Brian."
"Is it a baby boy cousin?"
"Yes, he will be your cousin."
"Is the baby going to come out?"
"Yes, in December."
"Where will he come out?"
"Um... "
"Is he going to come out at the hospital?"
"Oh yeah. That's where. Babies come out at the hospital (whew!)"
It just makes me wonder just how many parents jump into long explanations of where babies come from when their kids are really asking something much simpler. I've always said with my own kids I'll be honest and straightforward when the dreaded questions come, without any confusing stories about storks or birds and bees, but only after I'm darn sure what it is they want to know.

2 comments:
That's funny! It reminds me of that Calvin and Hobbes when Calvin asks his dad, "Dad, where to babies come from?" Dad: "Sears." Calvin: "I came from SEARS?" Dad: "Oh no, we got you on a blue light special from K-Mart." Haha! Love it. Kids are awesome.
Hi Angela! This reminds me of when I was pregnant with Hannah and went to get my unltrasound. Caleb was 3 at the time and I told him the Dr. was going to look at the baby to see if she was healthy and everything was okay. He was satisfied with that until I came home without a baby. Then he wanted to know, "How did the Dr. put the baby back in?"
Glad to hear you're doing well :o)
-Jayne
Post a Comment